Thursday, January 2, 2014

"Buddy's #1"...#2 of 30 D/30P Challenge

6x6 on panel
So here is #2 of Leslie Saeta's 30 Days/30 Paintings challenge.  Still using a limited palette, which is forcing me to mix, Mix, MIX the paints.  I found it particularly challenging to come up with a vibrant green.  That's because most the colors I'm using are on the "cool" side.  Very little "warm". 

(speaking of warm.....it's 5 degrees outside with windchill of -7 Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!) 

The colors I'm using for this challenge are  Naples Yellow, Yellow Ochre, Ultramarine Blue, Phthalo Blue, Cadmium Red, Alizarin Crimson,  Burnt Sienna, Titanium White, and  Mars Black.  

I was trying to narrow this down to 4 to 5 basic colors (this includes white/black)....but I like this mix.  I'm open to suggestions from fellow painters on color selection for a limited palette.  Either email me ginlammert@yahoo.com or send me a Facebook message.  Click the FB button on the sidebar here :D

Since using this color combination.......I look at some of the Master's  works (John William Waterhouse's "The Soul of the Rose" for one) and see more of the limited palette he used.