Wednesday, April 22, 2015

In Van Buren Co.



My plein air painting buddy, Jessica Kirby, gave me permission to use some of the photos she had taken on a painting trip I missed.   Here's the set up...looking on my computer screen at one of the photos she took while in Lacey Keosauqua State Park, Van Buren Co., Iowa.

Quick sketch in to lay out my composition
Starting to block in some color (and I have to say, I rather like the abstract look going on here too. Hmmmmm......this may be a direction I go in the future.)

and the finished work below.
~ click on images to enlarge ~
9"x 12"  Soft Pastel on Wallis paper.

I believe the time of year in the photo was Fall.  I need to visit this spot now (early Spring) and check it out.    

3 comments:

  1. Looks great! I also like the abstract look you achieved there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice! You created a better painting from the photo than I did from being there. Really captured the scene.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ditto and ditto ...the intermediate stage has a chunky post impressionist look...kind of Cezanne-esque

    ReplyDelete